[OSRM-talk] Plotting position in time using OSRM

S R sriram_ott at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 14:58:52 UTC 2014

I would like to create a simple simulation of  a trip using OSRM.
I believe the steps would be as follows (my questions are in parenthesis below)

a. Load OSM map of a city into OSRMb. Choose a random begin, end location that falls within the city lat/long (how to find lat/long limits of the loaded map?)c. Compute the distance (in time) between start, end using OSRMd. Also compute a path between start, end using OSRM (are the node vertices mentioned in route the same as in the OSM map?)e. The difficult part:
    -- start the simulation by displaying the map along with position marker (Leaflet?)    -- As time progresses, determine the location along the OSRM route computed above (how can this be done?)       and adjust the position marker.
An OSRM route looks like this:"route_instructions": [
        [
            "10",    <-------------------- what is this id and how to convert it to lat/long
            "Schulstraße",
            126,
            0,
            18,
            "126m",
            "SE",
            116
        ],
        [
            "7",     <----------------  how to find elapsed time to this point from previous one
            "Am Rahmtor",
            57,
            2,
            11,
            "57m",
            "NE",
            38
        ]

Given a start and end lat/long, a network distance (time) can be obtained as follows:
"distance_table": [
        [
            0,
            26084
        ],
        [
            26084,
            0
        ]

This would be useful if the route way-points above could be converted into time units.
Would appreciate any help with the above questions,
Sriram