[OSRM-talk] "Time-to-destination" on OSRM is too short

Mon Feb 10 14:39:52 UTC 2014

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Generally it seems that different ideas in different areas of the world,
> of what a "trunk" road is supposed to be, now fall onto our feet ;-)
> One option that comes to my mind would be that you change the road
> classification in Britain to use trunk only on those ways where it is
> used in other parts of the world, regardless of the actual official
> british classification. Could this find support in the British
> community?

Quick answer: not a chance in hell of that finding support.

Long answer: I don't really see the need, to be honest. All road types
have to be interpreted with national defaults in mind for speed limits,
permitted access, what side you drive on, etc. The fact that UK trunk
roads are (on average) slower is just another one of these. And although
UK trunk roads might be slower than German ones, they're probably faster
than many of these: http://osm.org/go/wEupZG--

cheers
Richard