[OSRM-talk] Turning with bicycle / for pedestrians

Elisabeth Leu elisabeth.leu at camptocamp.com
Fri Jul 4 07:36:21 UTC 2014

Dear OSRM Community, Hi Dennis,

We are on the way to integrate OSRM for a hiking & cycling application in
Switzerland, by defining adapted profiles for these use cases.

We observe a unexpected behaviour - at least unexpected for bicycle and
hiking routes. I'm using iBikeCPH to illustrate the example, but the same
problem can be seen on http://project-osrm.org/ as well.

In difference to cars, bicycles in most cases and pedestrians for sure can
turn immediatly on a road without turn restrictions.

Given I want to cycle from one S-Station to another in Copenhagen, with a
stopover at a friend's place at Bellmansgade:
http://www.ibikecph.dk/en#!/x65wv.7hmgt/x663x.7hfew/x65x8.7h71w

Since I'm cycling / walking, it does not make any sense to go to the very
end and back again in the small street - in reality I would turn
immediately.
The deviation also adds additional time (2mins) and distance to my route.

The viapoint seems to be slighlty on the dead end way. Is there any option
/ possibility to avoid OSRM chosing a deviation, if the via point is just
slightly (say some few meters) into to the street?

I guess it would be depending on the profile - maybe there is a config in
the LUA that could be used while calculating the network?

All I saw after quite some searching was using turn restriction tags in
OSRM (cf. [1] and [2]). As far as I read, my problem is different and
rather basic: allowing turns at any time for biking / hiking profiles (and,
maybe in a second step, restrict them according to OSM tags, for bicycles).

Any opinions / suggestions / info about ongoing devs for that?

Best regards,
Elisabeth

[1] https://github.com/DennisOSRM/Project-OSRM/issues/167
[2] https://github.com/DennisOSRM/Project-OSRM/issues/477