[OSRM-talk] Huge difference in needed time computation OSRM / Google Maps

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Mon Mar 24 19:01:54 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-24 at 19:42 +0100, Rudolf Mayer wrote:
> On 2014-03-24 18:50, Philip Barnes wrote:
> > The lack of speed limits on the rural secondary roads will almost
> > certainly be having an effect here.
>

> I am not sure about OSRM, but shouldn't there be something built in
> during processing of the ways that would set (country specific) default
> speed limits to roads that have no explicitly defined limit?

It may be possible, but one difficulty is the router would have to work
out whether the road is rural or urban which I imagine is not easy, plus
if the limit isn't the standard, then other problems will occur.

IMHO it is far simpler to survey and tag the speed limits, its not just
time for route calculation, it can be used to give warnings when
exceeding the limit.

Phil (trigpoint)