[OSRM-talk] Using OSRM linked into other code?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Nov 7 19:42:51 UTC 2014

I'll answer a bunch of the reply's here:

1. we do pre-compute a distance matrix and use that already but if you
have a situation like:

o----------t----------u--------v----->
            |          |        |
            B          C        |
            |          |        |
A----------x----------y--------z---D---->

and you want the route A-B-C-D if you use a precomputed distance matrix
you get a path A-x-B-x-y-C-y-z-D (depending on where B and C are in
those segments (ie: the vehicle makes a u-turn at B and C) when we want
a route like A-x-B-t-u-C-y-z-D. OSRM will generate the later route if
you ask for the route A,B,C,D with via points. So a simple distance
matrix does not work well.

2. The performance issue is not with the C++, we get basically the same
performance using Perl (GET) or curl at the command line, or curl from C
or from c++.

3. I will look at the node-osrm code. I remember seeing that posted, but
had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder of that.

4. I am some what stuck on an older version of the source code because
I'm not in a position to upgrade my server OS and packages. :( So this
is somewhat problematic for me at the moment.

Anyway, lots of great ideas. I appreciate them all and will be digging
into them over the weekend.

Best regards,
   -Steve