[OSRM-talk] Island hopping

Rudolf Mayer rudolf.mayer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 11:51:07 UTC 2014

Hi!

On 2014-10-14 21:45, Zenon Panoussis wrote:
> Hi
>
>> How can you detect whether there is an intersection at sea or in
>> the harbour?
>
> If it is an intersection between route=ferry and route=ferry,
> it is almost certainly at sea. The only possible exception is
> on the port quay itself, but there you should also have an
> intersection between route=ferry and natural=coastline. Hence
> the proper logic would be something like

I guess the question is - should there be an *intersection* in the data?

- if ferry routes cross each other on the sea, very likely not

- if some routes have the first part of a section similar to each other
(e.g. they all leave the port in the same way...), then this could be
seen as a likely mapping approach, not really a bug in the data.

==> I guess this is similar to e.g. tram lines sharing the same way for
some of their route. So I guess along that thought, OSRM (and other
routers?) should consider changing between ferry routes only at ferry
terminals, that would render all on-sea changes invalid anyhow.

greetings
rudolf