[OSRM-talk] Island hopping

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Tue Oct 14 19:49:18 UTC 2014

HI,

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 04:19:12PM +0200, Zenon Panoussis wrote:

> > Are you telling me i need to fix all those 3 Open Source and 1 Commercial app
> > just to fix this issue?
>
> I am not telling you to do anything at all. Nor do I see why
> fixing OSRM would force you to fix any other applications.
> I simply reported a problem and, trying to be constructive,
> suggested a solution. If you're not interested, I might just
> as well save myself the trouble of reporting problems.

It doesnt force me - The point is either:

a) We fix the OSM Dataset to be semantically correct with current
   rulesets we have
b) Try to teach each and every OSM Data consuming application
   how to interprete a very complicated semantically group
   of exceptions for rare cornercases. 1)

If we dont fix all other routing applications besides OSRM the
user experience with OSM will be inconsistent (Even more than
it is today) and OSM will be blamed.

I understand the problem you report and i told you in my very
first mail that changing the application in a very rare semantical
corner case is not the way i think OSM works and that its much
easier and more consistent to fix the data. The Data is
broken anyway as it is today as it does not connect to
the harbour/shore highways.
Fixing the data will fix the user experience disregarding the application the
user is using. OSRM is only a small part of the whole OSM ecosystem - There are
literally thousands of applications consuming OSM Data. Consuming
OSM Data is a hard task anyway - do you recommend making it even
harder by construction even more semantically complicated rulesets
to be forced on all those consumers?

Fix the data as its broken anyway for more use cases than OSRM. Use OSRM
to find those bugs in the data and everyone will be happy.

Dont try to paint over broken data.

Flo
1) Connecting routable ways in OSM means you can choose the direction
   to any of the participating ways.
   An exception to this is when there is a turn restriction.