[OSRM-talk] OSRM-talk Digest, Vol 28, Issue 4

Francis francisrute at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 21:06:04 UTC 2015

-First of all, my apologies if you receive duplicated this message, I sent
it 2 days ago, but due to the length of the text it was sent to the
moderator of the list.-

Hi Mohammed,

I should have mentioned this option, the linear combination of criteria is
naturally the obvious solution when the multiobjective problem is
approached for the first time.

To define a ranking procedure for the solutions can reduce the
multiobjective problem to a single objective problem, but it has many
drawbacks:
- An arbitrary vector of weights must be defined. Who should define that
weights? each user? the routing machine? How do you measure that travel
time is for example w_i more or less important than the economic cost, or
the CO2 emissions? In the majority of the cases these weights would be
totally arbitrary and will not reflect the user preferences.
- The linear combination function would add different measures, in our case
we are adding euros + minutes, or euros + meters + minutes, and the
resulting value would not have much sense.  Moreover, if you are adding
meters and euro cents for example, the first criterion (or metric) is going
to be several orders of magnitude greater than the second, i.e. if you are
adding a solution path with 150000 meters that costs you 900 euro cents
(150km and 9 euros), when you add both magnitudes the second one will
become quite irrelevant, and solution paths that minimize the distance are
always preferred.
- To avoid the second problem, you can normalize all the criteria to be
expressed in a scale from 0 to 100, from the minimum value for that
criterion (optimum) to the worst possible one, but this would still be a
bad solution to model the user preferences.

Thanks anyway for you answer Mohammed, it helped me to further develop the
purpose of multiobjective graph search algorithms.
In summary, routing on road maps with a single criterion have been
practically solved, it is enough to see that OSRM calculates an optimum
route in the order of milliseconds, and my guess is that other variants
like routing with multiple criteria or dynamic costs (like traffic
information) will be soon included in routing services. (if they are not
yet).

Best regards,
Francisco J.