[OSRM-talk] OSRM backend v4.5.0 released

Dennis Luxen info at project-osrm.org
Tue Jan 6 10:23:37 UTC 2015

Dear fellow OSRM’ers,

I am excited to announce the release of the backend of OSRM v4.5.0 [1], your favorite OpenStreetMap based routing engine. We are moving at a fast pace and are combining 270 commits this time. This release features a number of exciting changes!

First of all, we are using the great libosmium[2] for parsing OSM data files now. It's developed by Jochen Topf and we have been impressed with the speed and reliability of the code. Thus, we retired our own parsing code. Expect a speedup when parsing files!

Please note that this is a breaking change if you have been using custom speed profiles with your OSRM installation. If you have any questions or concerns porting your speed profile, please don't hesitate to get in contact.

This is the shortened change log:

- implement parsing thru libosmium
- reimplemented incremental nearest neighbor query
- nearest neighbor is chosen from nearest small and big component
- updated cucumber tests
- refactored SCC traversal code, same interface as BFS components code
- move application logic, i.e. shape file generation, from SCC traversal class to calling tool code
- enable gcc color output when available
- continued stream-lining of source files to remove camel case
- fixed a number of unintended implicit un/signed casts
- fixed a number of of old-style casts
- reformatted code of phantom node c'tor for legibility
- add better checks for forbidden routes
- made implementation of restriction map independent of graph type
- replace insecure std::rand by C++11's random number generation
- fix coverity issue 1258907 Division or modulo by float zero
- use JSON container to hold all intermediate results:
- fix #1255 assume lift gates are passable

We have tested the release in the past days at our demo site and it has been running without any apparent issues with tens of millions of queries. Also, we continue our effort to update the existing JavaScript web UI to a much more modern and slick look. This is work in progress and we are tracking the changes in a separate repository [3]. Patches and contributions are more than welcome. In the mean time, we invite everyone to use the existing web interface at our demo site: http://osrm.at.

Dennis (on behalf of Team OSRM)

[1] https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/releases/tag/v4.5.0
[2] http://osmcode.org/libosmium/
[3] https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-frontend-v2