[OSRM-talk] Clarification about "shortest path"

deltasight deltasight at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 12:46:54 UTC 2015

Hello,

I successfully use OSRM for months, and I would like to thank the
developing team for this wonderful project.

I have always wondered if the "viaroute" query in server API actually
computes shortest path (distance) or fastest path (time).

The official github wiki says "shortest", but this page
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Routing/online_routers) says
"fastest". When I compare results with YOURS, OSRM seems to compute
fastest paths. Then, is there a way to compute real shortest paths ?
Will alternative routes be a mean to get correct shortest paths ?

Thank you in advance,
Regards