[OSRM-talk] Use another data source than OSM

Patrick Niklaus patrick.niklaus at student.kit.edu
Thu May 21 17:02:03 UTC 2015

Hey Romain,

Mohammed already outlined the two options you have. In general I would
suggest using the second options, since producing correct `.osrm.*`
files is pretty complex and error prone. Also we don't keep that
format stable as the interplay between `osrm-extract` and
`osrm-prepare` often changes if you add new features.

You have a much better chance of translating your data to something
that looks like the OSM data model. A few things to keep in mind:

- Some importers seem to screw up the connectivity of street segments
- You need to figure out a good mapping from attributes of your source
material to OSM tags if you want to use the profiles provided by OSRM
- If your data is rather big, consider generating an OSM file in PBF
form [1]  (the XML format just does not scale for
continental/planet-size data)

I think cycle.travel runs on data from Ordnance Survy. So it is
absolutely doable, but I don't think you will find any importers
(targeting OSRM) for commercial data sources as OpenSource. (most
providers require you to sign a NDA before you are allowed to even
look at the documentation...).

Best,
Patrick

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/PBF_Format