[OSRM-talk] profile.lua car.lua tuning

Michael Chesterton michael at chesterton.id.au
Sat Nov 7 07:11:15 UTC 2015

On 06/11/15 04:18, Daniel Hofmann wrote:
> Depending on your use case (maybe only a few larger cities?) and if it
> has to scale, you could do the following (disclaimer: a bit hacky).
>
> Take a look here: this is what gets exposed to the profiles for ways:
>
> https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/blob/a62c10321c0a269e218ab4164c4ccd132048f271/extractor/scripting_environment.cpp#L131-L148
>
> If your use case allows for it, you might as well do distance
> calculations based on the coordinates against the nearest city center
> (that you somehow obtain and store, e.g. querying the largest n cities
> and hardcoding their coordinates, maybe borders as well).
>
> This would allow you to heuristically fine tune a correction
> coefficient, influencing the speed values depending on city center
> proximity.

Sweet, thanks Daniel, this might just work well enough for me. I only
have at the most 10 cities
to worry about. Time to experiment.

and many thanks to the other Daniel who replied, opentraffic.io looks
awesome.
I should be able to contribute data to them.

I must say this osm and related projects and the people behind them are
unbelievably
awesome.