[OSRM-talk] Project-OSRM: In need of advice; can offer some commercial support to you/ your projects in return

Sander Deryckere sanderd17 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 13:29:02 UTC 2015

> Hi - We're setting up a server to support the project with a modest 128 Gb
> RAM.
>
> Q1: What is the "right way" to get map updates for .pbf files? Any best
> practices out there? Nightly/Weekly builds? Do you get the data from
> http://download.geofabrik.de/ and are they okay with the traffic?
>
> In any case (not related to OSRM), geofabrik also offers .osc files, thes
only contain the changes and can be applied with the Osmosis tool. This
seriously reduces the traffic to geofabrik. I don't know to what extend
OSRM also supports updating from .osc files, or if you need to clean and
re-fill the complete database.

> Q2: What is the "right way" to prevent import of criminal map updates? I
> read on the OSM forum that somebody got banned after moving industry
> addresses around in updates, with a plausible suspicion on attempting to
> redirect deliveries (without payment).
>
> If there would be an easy way to notice such vandalism, the community
would use it. But in general, vandalism can only be discovered by humans
looking at the data, sometimes it even requires local knowledge to discover
vandalism. So there's not a lot you can do automatically. On the positive
side, I must say we have a lot less vandalism than text projects (like
wikipedia), OSM is technically more difficult to vandalise, and doesn't
give as much gain (f.e. no SEO). The real problem are accidental mistakes
(like typos). These happen a lot more often, and sometimes by trusted
mappers.

If the vandalism is clear (like highway-grafity in a populated area), it's
quickly discovered and removed. If the vandalism is hard to notice (like in
the middle of the pacific, or some name changes of small features), it will
stay around longer, but also shouldn't influence your working a lot (if the
OSM community doesn't notice it, the chance your data users will notice it
is also small). See the wiki for additional info:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vandalism