[OSRM-talk] State of the Art - Dynamic Routing

Patrick Niklaus patrick.niklaus at student.kit.edu
Wed Oct 14 11:05:47 UTC 2015

> certain edges in the contracted graph should have to be ignored

If that set of 'dynamic edges' is known in advance you could use a
technique that does not contract nodes adjacent to that edges. This
would mean for those edges you could update the weights without
re-contraction. On the pre-processing side adding support for this is
quite trivial, essentially it is a variation of partial contraction.
However adding an interface for
updating the graph would be new. The main problem there is that you
either add some sort of "override set" to the query graph, or have a
copy for each graph for each thread.
The first implementation will incur high penalties on query time (you
would need an additional check every time you read the edge weight),
the second approach would have a high memory usage.

Currently we don't plan to implement this. But if anyone likes to give
it a try, I will of course help were I can.

Best,
Patrick