[OSRM-talk] Road speeds and profile restrictions

Patrick Niklaus patrick.niklaus at student.kit.edu
Thu Sep 17 21:37:08 UTC 2015

W.r.t. the pre-preprocessing you are correct.

> What is that extra power used for?

Including all sorts of external data sources. Also the logic in the
lua profiles is not just replaceable by simple key-value pairs, OSM
requires you to handle a lot of special cases.

> Presumably I could do the same for world preparation & routing? Have, perhaps a 100GB+ swap file, ideally on an SSD.

This will fall apart when you have some actual load pressure on the
system. We need random access to memory, which will create a lot of
page faults (== slow). Even an SSD is not even close to memory speed.

You have two options:
- split the datasets
- get a bigger server

Cheers,