[OSRM-talk] osrm extract on a osm file created using a using BBox query

Daniel Hofmann hofmann at mapbox.com
Mon Sep 21 17:18:33 UTC 2015

Down-sizing files with bounding-box queries is dangerous when not carefully
executed.

We had similar issues a few month ago that went like this:

When you do a simple bounding-box query, you do a hard cut through way
nodes at the borders, resulting in dangling node references in the OSM file.

What you instead have to do is the following:

- query for all nodes in your bounding-box
- query for the associated ways for those nodes
- now run through those ways and return all the way nodes

now your ways no longer have dangling references.

There is a tool to check for dangling references, `osmium check-refs`:

http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Referential-Integrity-Problem-td5848030.html#a5848890

Which OSRM version are you on? I thought we made the dangling reference
issues harder to crash OSRM and instead throwing and error. Could you try
with the latest 4.8.1 release please?