[OSRM-talk] OSRM 5.0.0 RC1

Patrick Niklaus patrick.niklaus at student.kit.edu
Sun Apr 3 20:55:23 UTC 2016

Hey all,

We pushed out the first RC for 5.0.0. As the version indicates this
release breaks the backwards compatibility of the public API. The HTTP
API was completely rewritten and is now a little bit less verbose. We
refactored the C++ library interface as well, making it a lot easier
to use. Explore `example/example.cpp` on how to use it. Please let us
know if you find any bugs that go beyond the known issues below.

- Renamed osrm-prepare into osrm-contract
- osrm-contract does not need a profile parameter anymore
- New public HTTP API [1]
- POST support is discontinued, please use library bindings for more
complex requests
- Removed timestamp plugin
- Coordinate order is now Longitude,Latitude
- Cucumber tests now based on Javascript (run with `npm test`)
- Profile API changed:
   - `forward_mode` and `backward_mode` now need to be selected from a
pre-defined list
   - Global profile properties are now stored in a global `properties`
element. This includes:
     - `properties.traffic_signal_penalty`
     - `properties.use_turn_restrictions`
     - `properties.u_turn_penalty`
     - `properties.allow_u_turn_at_via`

Known issues:
- Units uncovered that zero-length trips might have a duration bigger
than zero #2134
- pkg-config does not work as expected, include paths might be
insufficient #2195
- Position hint on requests with syntax error might be off #2193
- Queries with integer coordinates might fail to parse if `.json` is added #2173

As always this release is in sync with a `node-osrm` release. `npm
install https://github.com/Project-OSRM/node-osrm/archive/v5.0.0-rc.1.tar.gz`
(we don't publish pre-releases because of he semantic versioning bug
in npm were 4.9.1 < 5.0.0-rc.1, that means new users would suddenly
download the RC)

This release was made possible by: @daniel-j-h, @danpat, @karenzshea,
@lbud, @miccolis, @mokob, @springmeyer, @themarex, @willwhite

We expect to push out at least another RC before we tag `5.0.0`.

Cheers,
Patrick

[1] https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/wiki/New-Server-api