[OSRM-talk] "nearest suitable road segment" Was: Helgoland in St. Peter-Ording

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed Aug 17 17:54:06 UTC 2016

Hola Patrick,

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 08:29:13PM +0200, Patrick Niklaus wrote:
> Hey Jürgen,
>
> OSRM routed immer vom  jeweils nächsten Straßensegment der
> Eingabe-Koordinaten. Das heißt in dem Fall, da sich auf Helogland

Just to continue on this with a related issue - What is a "suitable" street
segment. highway=*something vehicle suitable* and ignoring
access tags?

I have a case where there is a building - belonging to the big
front street, though when i use it as a route start/endpoint i get
routed to the private residents parking space in the backyard as
that street segment is spatially nearer.

I now tried to set an access=private to the highway=service
service=parking_aisle in the backyard which seems to solve the issue
although incorrectly tagged. There is no "access prohibiting sign"
for the backyard.

Look at the start Point which is "Berliner Straße 1, Gütersloh".
This is where i sprinkeled some magic "access=private" on the backyard
road segments:

Example - which now works:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=osrm_car&route=51.90465%2C8.37703%3B51.90533%2C8.38071#map=18/51.90480/8.37854

This is a broken example:

Münsterstraße 15a, Gütersloh will be routed through a customer
parking space:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=osrm_car&route=51.90603%2C8.37569%3B51.90533%2C8.38071#map=18/51.90582/8.37590

I am unshure on how to fix this correctly.

Modifying spatial data to make the "main road" be more
close seems like a really broken method.
Putting access=private or stuff on backyard roads although
they are not marked as such seems broken too.
I was always thinking about some relation to mark
access to a specific address/building/poi from a certain street/way.

	relation
	type=viaaccess
	to=<poi>
	to=<building outline>
	to=<address node>
	foot=<footway>
	bicyle=<footway>
	vehicle=<mainroad/driveway>

This is not a pure OSRM issue - Mapzen/Graphhopper have identical issues.

A Mapzen route which has problems "Hohenzollernstraße 1, Gütersloh"

http://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=mapzen_foot&route=51.90739%2C8.37542%3B51.90734%2C8.37350#map=19/51.90724/8.37430

Flo