[OSRM-talk] "nearest suitable road segment" Was: Helgoland in St. Peter-Ording

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed Aug 17 20:06:55 UTC 2016

Daniel,

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:56:40AM -0700, Daniel Patterson wrote:
> Florian,
>
>   OSRM simply snaps the coordinate to the nearest road.  If the back
>   yard "streets" are part of the main road network (i.e. not
>   `access=private`), then it's simply the closest road segment to your
>   start point that gets used.  Nominated is returning the building
>   centroid for Münsterstraße 15a, so it's snapping to the parking lot
>   roads.
>
>   I'm not really sure what we could change in OSRM to fix this -
>   perhaps excluding `service=parking_aisle` road segments might have
>   the general effect?  Maybe in this case there should be a
>   `service=driveway` on the entrance to the parking lot, and we should
>   exclude driveways?

Still there are cases where you have a House whose Address is on
Street A and nearest to Street A but still only accessible through
Street B - I have 1-2 of those cases - i cant solve them right now.

And putting tags on service road to try to turn routing systems
away from them although the tagging does not reflect reality is broken.

I'd wish to have a tagging scheme (probably by relation) to manually
hint/set a point on the routeable network to use for navigation.

If you wish to reach A you need to go to B

Currently i try to workaround all those problems by moving
service/driveways around until the driveway is more close than the other
street and stuff like that. This is all broken and does not really
match reality.

And the case is also for POIs - If you want to navigate to a Zoo or Park
you'll find the "area" for the Zoo - not necessary the Entrance. 1) One
might to put in a relation - "If you want to go to Zoo A you need to
navigate to Entrance B". POIs built with areas have a problematic
potential here.

Flo
1) I tried once to navigate to Airport PAD (Paderborn) and endet up in
the woods on the opposite side of the runway at the fence. It was the
nearest point on the road network to the POI.