[OSRM-talk] Avoid highways

Daniel Patterson daniel at mapbox.com
Thu Jan 21 15:51:10 UTC 2016

Hi Lorenzo,

  Currently, that would require a separate "profile"; a completely separate database with the road network processed differently.  Our demo server only has the capacity to run one profile, and it takes many hours to generate a new one.

  There is a long-standing ticket here:

    https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/77 <https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/77>

  that talks about modifying the weighting algorithm so that we can maintain correct time estimates, but modify weighting so that certain road types are avoided.  The reason this hasn't been implemented is that it will probably require additional memory, and we are very hesitant to increase that.

daniel