[OSRM-talk] osrm-extract taking hours to complete

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Mar 2 21:19:27 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 03/02/2016 09:03 PM, Bjorn Madsen wrote:
> I added a high speed SSD and pointed the .stxxl towards that to deal
> with the swap slowdown. That bought me a drop in processing time from 12
> hrs -> 3-4 hrs.
>
>     osrm at mat4:~/osrm-backend$ cat .stxxl
>     *disk=/mnt/tmp/stxxl,400000,syscall*

Since we're discussing this, I always wondered why I got STXXL messages
even when running on a 256 GB RAM machine (could it not simply do
everything in RAM there). Then tried to have the STXXL file on a ramdisk
but failed because the Linux "tmpfs" doesn't support some IOCTL
operation or so that STXXL wants to use. I ended up creating a sparse
200 GB file on the ram disk and loopback-mounting that to put an ext4
file system on it, just to enable STXXL to put its swap file there.
Surely better approaches exist?

Bye
Frederik