[OSRM-talk] Travel duration not realistic

Frédéric Rodrigo fred.rodrigo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 09:54:09 UTC 2017

Le 30/08/2017 à 11:17, Richard Saba a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> When computing a route and its duration between two points in a big
> city, duration result is not realistic.
>
> In Paris for example, a straight road of 1km takes less than 1 mn to
> be crossed.
>
> Google maps, proposes 5 mn which is more close to reality values.
>
> Beside taking into account real time traffic info, could you please
> help setting a solution to enhance those results ?
>
> If I well understood, I have to try different values for tags like
> speed, maxspeed, penalties etc...
>
> Is there anyone who already did some tests for this topic ?
>
> Which tag to modify first, especially in the example I provided ?
>
> Is there any influence for data, like roads attributes ? Example,
> maxspeed for motorways is set in the profile but some motorways have
> different speed.
>
> So I wonder if OSM data includes such information and if osrm takes
> this into account.

It is the problem with OSM about traffic realistic speed. OSM it self
does not have the data. Mapbox use telemetric traffic data to improve
the result. But this kind of data are not openly available.
On my side I choose to use density of the area to adjust the speed, code
is available on contrib:
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-profiles-contrib/tree/master/5/9/urban-density
(I have the port for v5.11.0 ready at home).

Regards.