[OSRM-talk] Current server requirements for planet

Daniel Patterson daniel at mapbox.com
Wed Jul 5 18:30:37 UTC 2017

For preprocessing:

The demoserver uses about 175GB of RAM to preprocess the planet, and around
280GB of STXXL disk space (you'll also need 35GB for the planet file, and
40-50GB for the generated datafiles).

For the foot profile, the latest number I have is about 248GB of RAM.
Everything else is proportionally larger.

The profile you choose has a big impact on size - the foot profile includes
a lot more ways/roads/paths than the car profile, so it needs more
resources.  The cycling profile sits somewhere in between.

For runtime:

You should be able to route on the planet with 64GB of RAM - we basically
just load all the files into memory, so whatever the output file size from
preprocessing - that's roughly how much RAM you'll need (minus the size of
the `.fileIndex` file, which is `mmap()`-ed and read on-demand).