[OSRM-talk] OSRM v5.9.0

Daniel Hofmann hofmann at mapbox.com
Thu Jul 20 10:28:49 UTC 2017

With the v5.9 release we continue to stabilize our Multi-Level Dijkstra
(MLD) pipeline which we introduced in v5.7 allowing for incredibly fast
traffic updates while still being able to handle requests in the
milliseconds.

In addition to feature parity for the Contraction Hierarchies (CH) table
plugin in MLD this release implements a brand new alternative routes
algorithm which we tailored specifically for MLD making heavy use of its
partitioner. We also radically decreased our pre-processing times by
partially removing STXXL, without any significant memory increase.

Other great features of this release is the support for exit numbers,
user-defined classes in the response and discarding ways with deprecated
construction and proposed tags.

Give it a try!

    osrm-extract berlin.osm.pbf
    osrm-partition berlin.osrm
    osrm-customize berlin.osrm
    osrm-routed --algorithm=MLD berlin.osrm

You can compile OSRM from source, use the pre-built binaries we ship with
node-osrm or use our Docker images. Always happy to hear your feedback!

   - #4202 <https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/pull/4202> -
   Implements the table plugin for MLD. The pull request contains some
   performance measurements.
   - #3905 <https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/3905> and
   #4047 <https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/pull/4047> -
   Implements multiple alternative routes for MLD: you can now request
   multiple alternative routes. Please read the issue and pull request for
   details, images and gifs.
   - #4215 <https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/pull/4215> -
   Implements exit numbers / names. Picks up the `junction:ref` way tag; adds
   an `exits` property to the response's RouteStep. The companion project
   osrm-tag-rewriter <https://github.com/mapbox/osrm-tag-rewriter> now also
   re-writes exit numbers / names into `junction:ref`.
   - #4252 <https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/pull/4252> - stxxl
   (libstxxl-dev) is optional now but still on by default. Disable it
via: cmake
   .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DENABLE_STXXL=Off. Processing will then
   happen in memory which should be fine unless you try to process the planet
   on your toaster.
   - #4204 <https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/pull/4204> and
   #4290 <https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/4290> - Adds
   a classes property to the response intersection array indicating a
   road's class. Can be set in the profiles on each way. The use-case for this
   is flagging a road as a toll, ferry or motorway road class which clients
   can than pick up from the response.
   - #4260 <https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/4260> and
   #4296 <https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/pull/4296> -
   Deprecates the UseLane instruction which was needed for lane
   anticipation (guide users in the correct lane for multi-hop steps) before
   there was an intersection array in the response. Lane anticipation will
   continue to constrain lanes in the response intersection array but we will
   no longer emit an extra UseLane instruction. In addition lane
   anticipation will now trigger based on a distance threshold of some
   hundreds of meters (depending on numbers of lanes to cross).
   - #4258 <https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/pull/4258> - In
   addition to respecting highway=construction tags we now discard
   deprecated old-style construction=* and proposed=* ways. There might be
   outdated tags in the database which need to get fixed.

Full Changelog
<https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/blob/5.9/CHANGELOG.md>