[OSRM-talk] U-turn penalty?

Daniel Patterson daniel at mapbox.com
Mon Apr 23 22:25:56 UTC 2018

Hi Xavier,

  This u-turn penalty only applies to what you might call "direct u-turns"
- those that occur on a single line feature, like at the end of a
cul-de-sac.

  Unfortunately, for u-turns between divided roads, this penalty value
isn't applied - OSRM treats those as two consecutive left turns (or right
turns, depending on your country).

  There's an open ticket about this problem:
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/4368, but nobody has
really looked into fixing it yet.

daniel