[OSRM-talk] OSRM v5.16.0 Release

Chau Nguyen chau at mapbox.com
Fri Feb 23 16:17:20 UTC 2018

Hello!

We just released OSRM v5.16, focusing on improving guidance and profiles. 🎉
This release ships several fixes but also new features. Highlights of new
features are:

### Maneuver Override Relations:

Sometimes road geometries of complicated intersections do not give enough
information on how a suitable guidance should look like. OSRM is now
supporting the `maneuver override` tag in OSM to detect such intersections
and choose better guidance. Read more about the `maneuver override` tag
here:
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/wiki/Maneuver-override-tag

### Turn functions in Lua Profiles:

When setting turn durations and weights, the `process_turn` function in the
lua profiles only gave limited access to attributes to identify the
intersection where the turn is happening. We added more attributes such
that we can set durations and weights based on more information such as
highway tags. Read more about the attributes here:
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/blob/master/docs/profiles.md#process_turnprofile-turn

### Here is the complete Changelog:

Changes from 5.15.2 to 5.16.0:

- Guidance
  - ADDED #4676: Support for maneuver override relation, allowing
data-driven overrides for turn-by-turn instructions [#4676](
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/pull/4676)
  - CHANGED #4830: Announce reference change if names are empty
  - CHANGED #4835: MAXIMAL_ALLOWED_SEPARATION_WIDTH increased to 12 meters
  - CHANGED #4842: Lower priority links from a motorway now are used as
motorway links [#4842](
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/pull/4842)
  - CHANGED #4895: Use ramp bifurcations as fork intersections [#4895](
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/4895)
  - CHANGED #4893: Handle motorway forks with links as normal motorway
intersections[#4893](
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/4893)
  - FIXED #4905: Check required tags of `maneuver` relations [#4905](
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/pull/4905)
- Profile:
  - FIXED: `highway=service` will now be used for restricted access,
`access=private` is still disabled for snapping.
  - ADDED #4775: Exposes more information to the turn function, now being
able to set turn weights with highway and access information of the turn as
well as other roads at the intersection [#4775](
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/4775)
  - FIXED #4763: Add support for non-numerical units in car profile for
maxheight [#4763](https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/4763)
  - ADDED #4872: Handling of `barrier=height_restrictor` nodes [#4872](
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/pull/4872)

You can compile OSRM from source, use the pre-built binaries we ship with
node-osrm or use our Docker images. Always happy to hear your feedback! 😁

Cheers,
Chau