[OSRM-talk] calculation of jump distances

Sayer, Bryan BSayer at s-3.com
Tue Jan 16 21:43:37 UTC 2018

Hi,

We are calculating distances between an U.S. census tract centroid and hospitals. A tract averages about 4,000 people, but can vary in area. Obviously, the centroid is likely to not be on a street, and thus a jump distance has to be calculated to get to a street.

Our question is what is the general algorithm for getting to the starting point? We definitely end up with some very large numbers (several hundred kilometers) on some jump distances, which seems incorrect.

Bryan Sayer

****WARNING**** This information may be confidential. It is intended only for the addressee(s) identified above. If you are not the addressee(s), or an employee or agent of the addressee(s), please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please destroy the information and notify the sender of the error. Thank you.