[OSRM-talk] calculation of jump distances

Sayer, Bryan BSayer at s-3.com
Wed Jan 17 15:10:19 UTC 2018

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the advice. We use the Stata implementation on a secure network so I can’t try any of the usual options that are available over the internet. I will double check that I have the order (longitude, latitude) but I have over 450 million routes all over the USA (every populated tract to every hospital, with certain restrictions in Hawaii and Alaska), so I imagine if I had them reversed I would have really strange results.

I can check the area size of the tracts. I suppose some tracts might not have any roads, but generally tracts are defined by roads or natural elements like rivers. I only use tracts with non-zero population, so it seems like every tract I use should have a road in it. It seems to me that it should never be the case that the jump distance from the tract centroid to the starting point should exceed the largest dimension of the tract, or really one-half of that distance.

It is not a large number of routes with these large jump distances, just a few.

When you say “the first thing that happens is that the nearest point on the road network is found” how is the nearest road network found? That is, what is the algorithm? Does it spiral out from the point until a road is hit?

Bryan Sayer
Statistician
Social & Scientific Systems, Inc.
Monday-Friday 9:30 to 5:30