[OSRM-talk] maxspeed and speeds in car.lua

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Thu Aug 22 23:30:31 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 02:15:07PM +0200, Silvia Oviedo wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to have your input regarding this:
>
> In OSM there is tag: maxspeed. In my case, I find that the majority of the
> primary roads have 30mph ~ 48 kph as a max speed. In the car.lua, I find
> that the highway speed that has been set primary is 65 kph. Is the speed in
> the OSM tag taken into consideration? I understand that the speed table is
> accessed by WayHandlers.speed() function but I am not sure what's the
> effect of WayHandlers.maxspeed().

Hi,
maxspeed, width, oneway, lanes and surface tags are used to determine the
weight/cost/estimated speed to travel segment - A lanes=1 without
any oneway will typically assume its typically speed is something like
halve of the maxspeed. But the whole issue is more complex as lanes
and maxspeed may carry :forward/:backward suffixes etc.

So the car.lua with the help of lib/maxspeed.lua and others do that
estimation. If there is no maxspeed osrm has some assumptions for
road classes.

Flo