[OSRM-talk] Bicycle routing, crossing large roads: how to get information on the roads crossed

Spencer Gardner spencergardner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 15:42:44 UTC 2019

Unfortunately, I don't have a good solution to offer, but I wanted to add
my two cents. I did a ton of research on this exact problem a couple of
years ago and virtually none of the open source routing platforms I came
across were properly equipped to handle it. It seems to be an issue that
only bicycle-oriented folks think about. The solution for my problem was to
implement in pgRouting where I can do additional processing to assign costs
as you've described. It's not the way I'd prefer to do it but until bicycle
routing becomes more sophisticated on other routing platforms that's what
I've settled on.

I don't have the technical expertise to contribute code to OSRM but I'd be
more than happy to share my experience with bicycle network planning with
anyone looking to improve OSRM's handling of bicycles on this and other
questions.

Spencer