[OSRM-talk] routing without a path

Nikhil VJ nikhil.js at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 03:15:03 UTC 2019

Hi Peter,

At small distances we also experience unsuitably long paths drawn due to
various map artefacts that don't represent the on-ground situation fully.
Example: people can cross the road, they don't need to go that far for the
crossing (side question: is there an OSM tag for telling that this road has
"free crossing" all along it and people do not need to go to a specific
point just to cross?). Or, take the nearest entrance to the building - they
don't need to go all around the place from the outside.

We decided to do some post-processing instead of trying to mess with the
router.
Calculate D = Displacement by latitude-longitude pairs (as-the-crow-flies
simple Euclidean geometry calculation)

If D <= 500m, {
    If the path given by OSRM is greater than D x 10 (or pick a suitable
multiplier), {
        Then junk the path and just plot a dotted line from A to B. Assume
half speed for this portion.
  }
}

In your case you may have to divide the path you have into chunks and
evaluate each chunk.
But I have no clue on how to make this business accurate. All the best!

--
Cheers,
Nikhil VJ