[OSRM-talk] Shared memory with one process

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Feb 27 20:25:36 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 2/27/20 20:45, Rohit Sivakumar wrote:
> Is there any benefit to configuring osrm using shared memory when I'm
> only running one osrm process per server ?

The benefit of holding the routing graph in shared memory is that you
can (provided you have enough memory) spin up a new shared memory
segment to hold a new, updated routing graph, and then switch from old
to new in an instant, whereas not using shared memory means you have to
terminate routed, move the files around, and start it up again which can
mean a service interruption of a few minutes.

Other than that I am not aware of any benefits (even if you *were*
running several routing engines on the same server using the same
routing graph, which also is not something that makes sense to me).

Bye
Frederik