[OSRM-talk] Is STXXL still used in the wild?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Jun 15 11:20:31 UTC 2020

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 at 12:51, Denis Chapligin <akashihi at gmail.com> wrote:
> пн, 15 июн. 2020 г. в 12:40, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net>:
>>
>> On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 at 11:46, Denis Chapligin <akashihi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I was building libraries for a windows build and discovered that STXXL is abandonware atm
>>
>> "OSRM is essentially abandonware at this point" too
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osrm-talk/2020-March/001849.html
>>

> And I'm really concerned about that :(

Me too.

> Regarding STXXL presence - yep, i know it's optional, but it _may_ be an issue for c++17 introduction ;)

If I was about to do it, I would do this:

1. Submit PR wiping out all traces of STXXL
2. Submit PR bumping required C++ version to C++17
    with minimal code modernisation to enable compilation as C++17
3. Continue with series of manageable PRs modernising code to C++17

I honestly expect such PRs will be accepted as I see no practical
reasons to not to.
I should be able to offer my help in reviewing and testing the PRs,
as well as submitting some for the 3. part.

Best regards,