[OSRM-talk] New v5.23.0 release

Julien Coupey osm at coupey.fr
Thu Oct 15 07:35:14 UTC 2020

Hi Daniel and all

Thanks for your work on this release, and all the various recent
contributions that made it possible. It's great to see a new OSRM
version, first one in a long time!

I'd like to ask for a clarification though, if possible, on the status
of libosrm regarding this new version and possible future ones. There
are a couple of reports about the API breaking changes ([1] and [2]). It
means that projects relying on libosrm v5.* no longer compile with
v5.22, and now v5.23. This is a major problem for downstream users and
maintainers, especially since the OSRM release process has long been
adhering to the semver scheme. I only see two ways out:

1. The new v5.23 release somehow endorses the API change (after all a
fix now would also be a new change from the last two releases). In which
case downstream users will have to fiddle with adjustments based on
libosrm minor version.

2. This is considered as something that must be fixed at some point in
the future. Then no action is required downstream, except stating that
current libosrm versions are no longer compatible until a patch or new
minor version is released.

Knowing which option is the most likely would definitely help.

[1] https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/5548
[2] https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/5741

Regards
Julien