[OSRM-talk] Routing across features with "issues"

Andrew King andrew.king at satmap.com
Tue Jun 8 15:23:13 UTC 2021

Hello,

I'm trying to understand what is causing the routing issue that I am seeing in the link below:
http://map.project-osrm.org/?z=18&center=54.641532%2C-3.180362&loc=54.642866%2C-3.186250&loc=54.642763%2C-3.186196&hl=en&alt=0&srv=2

Start point is a footpath
Access=all, foot=designated, motor_vehicles=no
highway=footway

End point is an Unmaintained Track Road
Access=all
highway=track

The FOOT routing takes me the very long was round, but not through the intersection of the two paths. I know from experience that this route is accessible by foot.

When examining the features in OSM Edit, there seem to be a number of warning messages attached to each feature:

The starting footpath warns of 5 issues:
- Skill Beck crosses Foot Path
- Foot Path crosses Unmaintained Track Road
- Unmaintained Road crosses Foot Path
- Unmaintained Track Road is very close but not connected to Foot Path
- Foot Path is very close but not connected to Unmaintained Track Road

The ending Unmaintained Track Road warns of 5 issues:
- Unmaintained Track Road crosses Unmaintained Track Road
- Foot Path crosses Unmaintained Track Road
- Unmaintained Track Road is very close but not connected to Unmaintained Track Road
- Foot Path is very close but not connected to Unmaintained Track Road

What is the best way to deal with issues such as this? I could obviously fix the data for this one case, but there are probably thousands of similar cases such as this.

Is it possible to configure the lua scripts to ignore these errors and permit the routing anyway? If so how would this be achieved?

Or is that a bad idea?

Many thanks
Andrew