[OSRM-talk] Routing challenge: Covery every path optimally

Julien Coupey osm at coupey.fr
Tue May 11 08:43:57 UTC 2021

Hi Nikhil

What you're describing is a variant of a problem known in the literature
as Route Inspection / Chinese Postman problem.

It's essentially different from a TSP (visit-all-the-nodes vs
visit-all-the-edges).

The fun part is that the simple version (undirected graph) can be solved
to optimal in polynomial time, while other variants are hard (aka NP
complete).

For what it's worth, I've pushed a prototype[2] that handles a
simplified version. This is a first draft mostly coded during a
Hack-weekend in Karlsruhe back in a time where meeting people was a thing.

It's totally not in a usable state for most situations (see limitations
in readme). I had ideas on how to improve it but did not find the time /
right use-cases to push it forward so far.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_inspection_problem
[2] https://github.com/verso-optim/pOSMan

Best
Julien