[Party] numbers of mappers, and food

Laurence Penney lorp at lorp.org
Wed Jul 11 11:42:34 BST 2007

tim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning on doing a mapping weekend for Leeds for Septemeber - and
> am looking for suitable venues - in your experience, how many people
> turn up to past mapping parties?
>
> I'm estimating 10-20?

I think we had about 40 over the weekend in Bristol, but not more than
20 in the HQ room at the same time.

> Which leads me to another question - food.
>
> What types, amount and kind of food do you arrange? Tea, coffee for
> the morning and sarnies for lunch?
> Do you get someone (the venue?) to sponsor the food, or do people
> generally buy their own?

In Bristol, the venue put out urns of coffee, tea & biscuits for us.
People had to get their own food. It helped that a nice cafe was on
site. I wouldn't be much more generous than this during the day, since
you want to get people out mapping! In the evening, if there's the
cash, then a buffet would be a great way to get people together. You
could let the buffet sponsor hand out baubles. At the Isle of Wight
weekend there was a barbecue on the beach. In Bristol, groups went in
search of restaurants.

Good luck!

-- L