[Potlatch-dev] P2 versions

Tue Aug 24 09:58:42 BST 2010

Nop wrote:

> As the initialization of drop-down boxes did not work in the
> recommended version, I downloaded the .swf from the public alpha
> version and it does work there.
>
> I also noted that the alpha .swf is considerably smaller.
>
> So my questions  are:
> - What is the difference between the .swf recommended in the wiki
> (http://random.dev.openstreetmap.org/potlatch2/potlatch2.swf) and the
> .swf on the alpha test site?
> - Which one should I use?
> - is there a way to tell the version from the .swf file or from within P2?

random.dev.openstreetmap.org automatically pulls down the source every
half hour or so (not sure of exact interval, Dave would know), builds
a new .swf, and puts it up. So it's guaranteed to be the latest code.

The alpha at geowiki.com is manually compiled and uploaded when I
think it'd be a good idea and/or remember. I may deploy files
individually here (for example, I've not updated mapfeatures.xml until
we get the preset icons sorted).

The random.dev.osm.org instance is compiled with the debug flags
enabled, so that you can monitor the Flash logfile and see any
information being chucked out. The geowiki.com instance is compiled
without the debug flags, which makes the .swf a bunch smaller.

The dropdown box bug is one which we've not been able to nail down
yet. One possibility that springs to mind is that I probably compiled
the geowiki.com instance with Flex 3.0, whereas I'm guessing the
random.dev.osm.org instance is compiled with Flex 3.5: it may be a
difference between the two. (The Flex framework is wondrous in many
ways but it can be awfully erratic.) I'll have a go at compiling with
3.5 later today and uploading to geowiki, and we can see if it's made
a difference.

cheers
Richard