[Potlatch-dev] Status of "opencyclemap.css"?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 11:15:51 BST 2010

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I'd like to help develop a good mapcss style for cycling, and notice
> opencyclemap.css. Before I start modifying it, I have a couple of
> concerns:
>
> 1) Calling the potlatch bicycle style "opencyclemap" seems like a
> recipe for confusion...

Ah, not something to get too worried about. The intention is that that
stylesheet will be the default one when p2 is (eventually) deployed on
opencyclemap.org, hence the name. It was also mainly done as an
experiment/proving that the style system worked, and was fairly easy
for me to do an "opencyclemap" style for obvious reasons.

> 2) Attempting to mimic the opencyclemap style is at worst a breach of
> copyright, and at best very constraining: there are lots of things
> that could be improved about that style.

Indeed, but for obvious reasons it's deliberately constrained to mimic
the opencyclemap style. Also, since it's a style for p2 rather than
just halcyon, it's further constrained, for example by showing all
features, and having different features at different zooms is not a
priority.

> So, should I just start a new style ("bicycle.css" or something), or
> should I take the existing one and rename it, and remove the
> references to opencyclemap?

Feel free to use the opencyclemap stylesheet as a jumping off point,
but it probably won't save much time compared to starting from
scratch!

Cheers,
Andy