[Potlatch-dev] Git starter?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Aug 31 11:19:31 BST 2011

On 31/08/11 10:46, Steve Bennett wrote:

> I find this bit of using git somewhat deflating. With SVN, I was able
> to commit my changes into "the" repository. Although the changes
> weren't immediately in the production release (fortunately), other
> developers would immediately see them next time they did an update.
> Perhaps it's irrational, but committing to "the" repository is a lot
> more satisfying than publishing to my own private repository and
> hoping that someone comes along and takes a look.
>
> Before:
> svn commit
>
> After:
> git commit
> Email list
> Andy, Richard, or someone (who are the code reviewers, anyway?)
> reviews changes, optionally accepts.

So basically you're complaining that your edits now have to be reviewed
before they are merged and you can't ram them down people's throats anymore?

There's no need to hope that somebody comes along and takes a look
though - that's why you send pull requests, whether on github or by
email. That's you saying "hey, I've got something good here I'd like you
to consider for Potlatch" and then your change can be considered for
inclusion.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)