[Potlatch-dev] Git starter?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 13:28:32 BST 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 5:01 AM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>If there's any gotchas let me know.
> Ok, since you asked:
>
> "First you need to get a copy of the potlatch2 repository from
> somewhere. It doesn't really matter where it comes from..."
> "There's many different ways to share your changes with the rest of
> the world..."
>
> These are not good words to reassure the newcomer that these
> instructions are simple will take him where he wants to go :)

Well, they are honest. I'd rather not mislead anyone by saying "You
must sign up for github" or "you must clone from this repository" or
anything like that. Note that the first example has an explicit repo
to clone from in any case, so that shouldn't hinder anyone.

> I find this bit of using git somewhat deflating. With SVN, I was able
> to commit my changes into "the" repository. Although the changes
> weren't immediately in the production release (fortunately), other
> developers would immediately see them next time they did an update.

Yes, but this was causing lots of issues, as I'm sure you remember.
Think of it instead as being a much more relaxing way of developing -
you can make your changes public without needing to worry about
stepping on anyone's toes - I can (and frequently have) published
half-working, half-finished things on a branch and asked others to
take a look, or made a few commits on one topic before changing to
another. Previously I'd need to make sure it was completely finished
and polished or open the can of worms that was svn branching.

The New World Order is a huge improvement, and the small downside of
having to make requests (isn't always necessary anyway, since e.g. I
follow Richards changes and he follows mine without needing explicit
requests every time) is more than made up for by the ability to
properly review things before they hit master.

> Andy, Richard, or someone (who are the code reviewers, anyway?)
> reviews changes, optionally accepts.

As Richard has said, his "master" branch is the canonical 'this is
Potlatch2', so he's in charge. I'm happy to review code too
(especially works in progress) so feel free to shout.

Cheers,
Andy