[Potlatch-dev] What to code next?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Mar 3 14:56:35 GMT 2011

Katie Filbert wrote:
> Potlatch 2 is completely broken in handling RTL languages and does
> not join Arabic letters together.
> This is an absolute must fix ASAP!

It isn't that easy. It's a Flash limitation, not anything we have
intentionally baked into the P2 code. We can only solve it, AIUI, by
building with Flex 4 (currently we use 3.x), targetting Flash Player 10
(currently we target FP9), and making some really hefty code changes.

So yes, we'd like to fix it but it isn't trivial. It's particularly
difficult for me as I do a bunch of development on a machine (a PowerPC Mac)
for which there's no FP10 debug player available.

And can I really encourage people not to use words like "absolute", "must"
and "ASAP" when engaging with unpaid volunteers. And not to use demotivating
phrases like "completely broken". Thank you. :)

cheers
Richard