[Potlatch-dev] Flash Player minimum version

Wed Mar 21 11:38:53 GMT 2012

Hi all,

(This is partly a follow-up to Andy's mail of a few weeks ago!)

We had a few reports on help.osm.org of P2 not working (the drag-and-drop
icons on the left weren't appearing) and narrowed it down to the users
still having Flash Player 10.1 installed.

We were only using one 10.2 feature - the native mouse cursors (my
fault!). 10.1 is, however, the last version that'll work on OS X PowerPC.
It's a small number of machines but not an insignificant one. Ok, I might
admit an interest here as my boat Mac is a G5. ;)

I've therefore added a version check to the custom cursor code. If the
user is still on 10.1, it just won't set the cursors. I've tested it with
both 10.1 and 10.3 players and it seems to work fine. Flex 4.5 nominally
requires 10.2 but, for now, seems to degrade to 10.1 fine - the main
change AIUI is tweaks to the text layout engine. It is however possible
that some of the more advanced Spark components may use opcodes not
present in 10.1.

I suggest we stick with 10.1 until there's a compelling "must switch"
reason to _require_ 11+. If there's any nice-to-haves, like the native
cursor support, we can use the version check.

cheers
Richard