[openstreetmap-website] Gps move (#42)

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Thu Apr 12 17:01:39 BST 2012

I don't really feel a need for the GPS traces to be available from the
homepage at all - the link between those and the map is not clear to many.
I think if they were only available through the user pages, that would be
just fine. What do people expect to see when they click 'GPS traces'? I'd
say most would expect to get a map overlay of GPS traces. Traces showing
what? My guess is that most site visitors won't be able to make that link,
or draw the wrong conclusion (that OSM consists somehow of GPS traces).

I'd like to raise a more general point about these smaller UX changes. We
recently changed the layer switcher, the tab bar, the location of the data
overlay, and the user diaries. I understand the need for atomic changes
from a development and deployment perspective, but I feel we need to
consolidate rolling the UX changes out in bigger chunks so as not to
confuse people too much. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on that

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> On 11/04/12 17:17, Tom MacWright wrote:
>
>  As in the one commit here, just moves GPS Traces from the top bar to the
>> left sidebar.
>>

> I've merged this to http://tomh.apis.dev.**openstreetmap.org/<http://tomh.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org/>for people's consideration.
>
> It all looks good to me - my only question is whether it might be better
> at the bottom of the menu, after Help and Community, rather than before.
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
> http://compton.nu/