[openstreetmap-website] Zoom Control (#65)

Tom MacWright notifications at github.com
Thu Aug 9 14:13:55 BST 2012

Hi there,

> The web site's style is built around solid, rectangular blocks of colour, the zoom control uses curved edges, and greys

The main page uses greys, at #ccc, for edges, just like the zoom control.

> The web site doesn't use drop shadows for anything other than the zoom control.

It's a 1px drop shadow, and the web site doesn't use drop shadows because it was designed in 2006 and never updated. It does use one drop shadow - in the search box.

If you'd like to change this, it's rather simple: you can implement it.

For the zoom control, you'll need to hack both the js and css side quite significantly, as I did for the new zoom control; the new one is more or less a reimplementation rather than a skin. Then, post it as a pull request and get the community's input (I assure you, it will not be entirely positive, and will include nitpickers just like, um, this). And then, great success! Followed by more nitpickers.

The thing about design is that it's gradual: the design elements I'm putting in match the site to some degree and the design direction to a higher degree. And that means that some of these things are less mathematically perfect than [the things that people have grown accustomed to for years on end](http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/rails-dev/2012-August/000573.html), but are hopefully prettier to people who are seeing the site for the first time with fewer expectations.

That, and, given the high ratio of design critique to design implementation, it's a do-ers market out there.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/65#issuecomment-7613600