[OpenStreetMap] #4246: gpx_import fails on a ruby error (Magick)

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Feb 26 14:19:14 GMT 2012

On 26/02/12 13:18, Andy Allan wrote:

> I think we should be doing the same thing for the rails port. As to
> the exact technical measures, that's up for debate. I mentioned in my
> other mail that I think it would be useful to abstract some of the
> (very useful) nodes/ways/relations/map-call handling into a gem, but I
> also think its important to make the whole site code as reuseable as
> possible. We could take mysociety's theyworkforyou as an example,
> where they separate out the specific-website "theme" from the core
> software.
>
> https://github.com/sebbacon/alaveteli
> https://github.com/mysociety/whatdotheyknow-theme
>
> But whatever way we do it, I think it's best to make the software as
> useful as possible, and the osm.org-isms as self-contained as
> possible. I think that junking working, useful code just because we're
> doing something different on osm.org is the wrong approach.

In an ideal world this would all be most excellent but we struggle to
even develop the code for our own purposes, never mind trying to keep it
useful to other people.

If there are people willing to step forward and undertake the work to
separate things out like this then fine, but it's not something I
personally am interested in.

But we're not talking about theming here anyway - we're talking about
how far we go in maintaining code that is no longer used by the OSM web
site.

Should we have kept MySQL support working after switching to Postgres in
case somebody preferred that?

Should we keep the ruby GPX importer working when we don't use it? Even
if that makes it harder for new developers to get up and running?

Should we keep all the API code as we gradually migrate the OSM site
over to using cgimap to handle the API calls?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/