[openstreetmap-website] Markdown (#28)

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sat Mar 10 15:08:45 GMT 2012

On 06/03/12 19:22, Tom Hughes wrote:

> This branch updates the web site to accept Markdown test formatting everywhere (diary entries, comments, messages, user descriptions) where blocks of text can be entered. I hope this is an in improvement over the current situation where we accept HTML subject to sanitisation, and also attempt to auto-link URLs. A live version can be found on the dev server:
>
>      http://markdown.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org/
>
> Each text area now comes with a side panel displaying brief help text and buttons allowing the user to switch between edit mode and a preview view.

So has anybody had a chance to look at this? What do you all think?

> One unresolved issue is to how to handle the mail gateway for messages and diary comments.

To explain a bit more what I'm talking about here, what we have
historically done here is:

* Send notifications as multipart with an HTML version rendered
   in the same way we would on the web site and the text as entered
   in the text version, which might include HTML tags.

* For email responses take an HTML version if present, otherwise
   the text version.

Obviously this will need some changes, not least if we don't want to
be doing HTML anymore, so taking an HTML version from email is tricky
to deal with.

I looked at what Github do and interestingly they take a quite
simplistic approach:

* Emails are sent as text only with raw markdown
* Replies take the text version as present, and if not then
   the HTML version (with tags stripped) but don't render the
   result as markdown and just treat it as plain text

Thoughts?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)