Continuous integration environment

Paweł Paprota ppawel at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 9 21:15:28 GMT 2012

Hi all,

I've just started working on the language switcher related issues (see
[1], [2]) and it quickly turned out that this functionality is going to
touch upon several core components of the application. So I'd like to
provide some tests for this.

I started looking into the Rails Port's test suite. Looks like there is
a lot of tests which is good. At this point a (large) number of them
fails on my machine but that may be to some problems with my setup.

More importantly, I'd like to propose setting up a CI[3] environment for
the Rails Port to make tests more "visible" in the development process.
Obviously everyone can run them locally before commiting/submitting a
patch but there is a lot of significant advantages of a CI environment[4].

I think this will greatly benefit the Rails Port development community,
especially now that there is a lot of new activity and patches coming in.

So basically I'm willing to put in the work needed to do this. I have
not found anything related to this topic on the wiki so I'm not sure if
there's some existing infrastructure or not. What I think would be good
is to have it running somewhere in the osm.org infrastructure and set up
a mailing list for CI server notifications (or maybe even set it to
rails-dev@? Probably not...)

What do you think?

[1] https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/132
[2] https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/133