[openstreetmap-website] Port to Leaflet (#121)

John Firebaugh notifications at github.com
Tue Oct 9 21:18:11 BST 2012

While I was writing this I see that others chimed in, but anyway:

Leaflet also has a [VML renderer](https://github.com/CloudMade/Leaflet/blob/master/src/layer/vector/Path.VML.js), and it supports IE 7-9 and even IE 6 partially.

I have no problem leaving the OL assets around for third party sites, but it would be a lot of work to support two slippy map implementations simultaneously, and it strikes me as overconfigurability to offer that option. We should compare the two on their merits and make a decision.

To state what I see as the case for Leaflet in the most general terms: it offers a better user experience (smoother zoom and pan, faster rendering performance), has a smaller download footprint, and is easier to learn for developers without prior OL or Leaflet experience.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/121#issuecomment-9277341