Notes Branch

Paweł Paprota ppawel at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 17 05:55:55 GMT 2012

Hi all,

One more potential use case for notes came to my mind yesterday. Let's
start with a little background...

I maintain a local file named survey.osm. This is an OSM data layer that
contains ways drawn in JOSM for areas nearby my home location that I
think need (re)surveying. This is based on local knowledge, Bing and
other sources.

Now, whenever I go out on a biking trip, I export survey.osm to
survey.gpx, transfer it to my phone and enable it in OsmAnd as a GPX
layer - that way I've got all the "to be surveyed" ways nicely
highlighted and I can modify my trip accordingly to do the survey.

So how about incorporating something similar into the notes feautre by
adding a note type? Notes needn't only be bugs - they can also take over
the role that currently the "note" and "fixme" tags are playing.

I would love to be able to add my (re)survey information as notes to the
map so that other people can see it and potentially help with surveying,
add their own comments/notes etc.

Sprinkle a little social features over that and you've got yourself a
nice platform for organizing a mapping party :-)

Paweł